How to choose the best wedding photographer for you
Thanks again for contacting me recently! I trust you received the pricing information I forwarded at your request.
You have a lot to think about: a venue, the menu, music, decor. But whereas the food will get eaten and the DJ will go home, the photographs will become the touchpoint of your memories for the rest of your life. Here’s a checklist to help you find the best person for the job.
1. Hire the photographer, not the studio. Many studios subcontract a rotating cast of photographers, so don’t be fooled by an online gallery that’s really the work of multiple photographers. Make sure you see lots of photographs from the person who will actually be at your event.
2. Your photographer should be a talented photojournalist. Posed portraits are important, but an unexpected laugh, Grandpa’s funky dance step, a quiet moment with a loved one—that’s where the joy is. You want someone who will capture that spirit, emotion and energy.
3. The best event photographers not only get the shot, they get the whole story. When you go back through the album, you want it to be like a novel you just can’t put down, populated by the people you love and the moments you want to remember forever.
4. Ask to see your photographer’s retouching. If only Aunt Marla hadn’t shut her eyes, if the wine stain weren’t visible, if you’d noticed your father’s shirt was untucked? Sure, you want a creative artist, but you also want a genius editor who’s got game technically.
5. Good photographers are great listeners. They really hear what you want. They probe to find out more. And though they bring their own experience and aesthetic sensibilities to every project, they know this is your day, so they’re more concerned with achieving your artistic vision than their own.
I hope these tips are useful to you. Take a look through my galleries to see the tips in action, and don’t hesitate to call (212.810.2148) or email me at [email protected] with questions or to schedule a face-to-face meeting.
Best wishes to you as you plan your big day!
Deutsch Photography, Inc.